domingo, 25 de enero de 2009

In Ten Years

Before I describe what I want to be in ten years, let me follow you through how I plan to get there. I am currently (frantically) searching for a full-time job to start when I graduate in May. I'm looking for jobs at architecture firms primarily in big cities; Philadelphia (my home city), New York, Boston, Chicago. I'm also applying to a few firms in SC because that's where most of my networking is. Wherever I end up, I plan on working as an intern architect for a few years, as little as 2 and as many as 5, building up IDP units for architect licensure, before going to graduate school. I want to go to a good grad school program located in a big historic city; maybe UIC in Chicago, or UC-Berkeley near San Francisco, etc.

In case you can't tell by now, I really want the city to be a part of my life. I can't stand the dull isolation of the country or the suburbs, and I always prefer walking over driving. In ten years, I hope to be living in a major city, working for an architecture firm. I hope to be a licensed architect by then, working on urban design projects; transportation, public space, planning, commercial and corporate buildings, historic preservation and renovation. If I start a family I hope that I wouldn't have to give up the city aspect of my life; it would depend on whether the place I live would be a suitable environment for children.

That's the goal I have in mind as I look for my first real job today. I'm frustrated with the economy and the unfortunate timing of the recession (for me and others graduating), but when I feel doubtful I think of that perfect picture of where I will be in the future.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario